Overall height: 28"
Top: 18" x 18"
Apron width: 14"
Apron height: 4"
Legs: 1.25" taper to .75"
The legs are mortised with 3/8" tenons and pinned with 1/4" dowels. 3/4" thick top, edged glued from 3 boards, hand planed and scraped flat. The bottom side of the top has 1/4" deep, by 2" long bevel, leaving a 1/2" thick edge. Finish is a seal coat of thinned shellac topped with multiple coats of danish oil. The top surface was wet-sanded with 320 grit and oil to fill grain pores.
|Attaching the top|
- Biggest mistake: The dowels pinning the tenons are in the wrong location. They should be located closer to the edge of the leg to lock the tenon in effectively. It's not a huge concern because the glue joint has to fail before it's a problem.
- Glue cleanup. I decided to try a different way to deal with glue squeeze-out. In the past, my approach has been to keep excess glue to a minimum and to allow any squeeze-out to partially cure then scrape it off. This time, I used a really wet rag and a spray bottle to clean up excess glue. Using a damp rag as recommended on the glue bottle embeds glue into the wood grain and can affect the finish, I had hoped that using lots of water to fully dilute the glue would wash it away without embedding into the wood grain. It worked, but not well -- lots of raised grain, discolored wood and more sanding was required in the tough-to-sand joint between the leg and apron. Next time, I'll go back to the "let it dry and scrape" method.
- I LOVE working with cherry. It's crisp and has great cross-grain strength so it responds to sharp cutting tools wonderfully. Hand planing and chisel work are an absolute joy.